Monday 13 May 2013

A selection of the finest Hip Hop...

...from my younger days... Maybe it's rose tinted glasses, but I'd say this lot comes from the golden years for the whole scene. I could post so many tunes here, Public Enemy, KRS One and so on immediately spring to mind, but this post was looking huge as I started thinking of tracks, so you're getting a slightly random selection.

Big Daddy Kane, you just can't go wrong. This track is from It's a Big Daddy Thing, an album you should purchase immediately. I remember skating with this in my Walkman for like forever, ahh memories ;)

Calling Mr. Welfare



Gang Starr... How to state just how important these guys were? Lyrically stunning and intelligent, delivered by the Guru's voice with it's rich tone and Premier's selection of jazzy beats remains, for me, the ultimate... One of the most poignant tracks from Step In The Arena, another essential album to own, this is Just To Get A Rep.

Just To Get A Rep



Young MC, regularly appearing in mixes all over the world right now... Timeless and funky as fuck. From the Stone Cold Rhymin' album this is....

Bust A Move




British hiphop doesn't tend to have the recognition of the horde of music the US produces, but there was (and still is) quality to be found. Caveman were probably the most acclaimed back in the day and had success both sides of the pond. This is taken from Positive Reaction.

I'm Ready



And finally another track from the UK, the title track from Overlord X's debut album.

Weapon Is My Lyric

No comments:

Post a Comment